Please note:

This is a journey for me. There are posts that talk about where I have been. Where I may or may not still be. And generally random thoughts, questions, and revelations that I have.

Much of what I post here is extracted from emails. Some from my personal journal or my "thought books."

Any respectful comments, remarks, questions are welcome and encouraged. Inappropriate remarks will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Thank you and enjoy the journey. : ]

November 26, 2008

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Secularization of Christmas

I have heard many arguments that Christ should be put back in Christmas and so on. On one hand, I agree. If we are going to call it Christmas and consider it a Christian holiday, then perhaps they are right. But on the other hand, the only reason we have "Christmas" is because of a similarly timed ancient pagan holiday. We commandeered the holiday of a different religion and tried to make it into something of our own. Sure we have tried to put it to good use, but I don't think we can entirely blame non-Christians (and Christians) for secularizing an originally pagan holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment