Please note:

This is a journey for me. There are posts that talk about where I have been. Where I may or may not still be. And generally random thoughts, questions, and revelations that I have.

Much of what I post here is extracted from emails. Some from my personal journal or my "thought books."

Any respectful comments, remarks, questions are welcome and encouraged. Inappropriate remarks will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Thank you and enjoy the journey. : ]

November 26, 2008

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Yeshua? Jesus?

Question: "If His name was Yeshua, why do we call Him Jesus?"

Answer:
Yeshua is the Hebrew name, and its English spelling is “Joshua.” Iesous is the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew name, and its English spelling is “Jesus.” Thus, the names Joshua and Jesus are essentially the same; both are English pronunciations of the Hebrew and Greek names for the Lord. (For examples of how the two names are interchangeable, see Acts 7:45 and Hebrews 4:8 in the KJV. In both cases, the word Jesus refers to the Old Testament character Joshua.)

...

We refer to Him as “Jesus” because, as English-speaking people, we know of Him through English translations of the Greek New Testament. Scripture does not value one language over another, and it gives no indication that we must resort to Hebrew when addressing the Lord.

...

http://www.gotquestions.org/Yeshua-Jesus.html

No comments:

Post a Comment